Wednesday, June 3, 2009

June 3, 2009

Hooray, this post will get me completely caught up. In case you missed them, I have posted reports on the last 4 e-mails today, so read up.

Beautiful e-mail this morning, which started out with a report of the beautiful weather they have been enjoying in Sheffield for the past several days. Four straight days of temps in the mid-20's (that's high 70's on the Fahrenheit scale), with sun and no rain. The only negative is that Eric inherited his father's propensity to perspire, but fortunately they don't have to wear their suit coats in this type of weather.

Eric remains excited about working with Elder Shen. He said:
"Elder Shen is a star. He is a fireball. He is very excited and diligent in missionary work. He has great faith in miracles and has a good vision about what he wants to accomplish."
Eric talked about his Boy Scout and church youth group experiences, and had praise for the leaders and peers who have had a great influence on his life. He is looking forward to the opportunity to be a leader of youth himself. This week, he had a chance to participate in a missionary preparation meeting for the youth of the Sheffield congregations. He said he didn't know how much he helped, but it was enjoyable to be there.

Three of the people they are teaching came to church this week, but Eric expects to have more next week. He mentioned the progress of a few of their investigators. One is Michael, whom we have mentioned before, and who is progressing nicely. Cindy is another person we have mentioned before. She is a single mom, living with her baby's father and unable to legally marry because of her immigration status. She has read the entire Book of Mormon, comes to church every week, and has even started to pay tithing to the church even though she isn't a member. Eric also reported that they found Nemo this week, and he is not a fish but a Chinese student who is anxious to learn about the gospel of Jesus Christ, and has already expressed an interest in being baptized.

Finally, Eric closed his e-mail with these uplifting words:
"I am so thankful for the opportunity that I have had to serve as a missionary and a representative for my Lord Jesus Christ. My mission means everything to me and there is nowhere I'd rather be at this time than in His service. My time here is so short and yet eternally important. The way I act can lift and inspire or conversely it could destroy faith if I don't represent well. I know that there will come a day when I will account to my Father for what I have done with this opportunity."

Little doubt that will be a positive report.

No comments: