A much longer e-mail today, but not a lot of news. The one piece of news he mentioned was that President Stock has postponed Cindy's baptism. He wants to make sure her personal commitment and living arrangements will allow her to keep the law of chastity. Eric understands, but is disappointed.
Most of this e-mail consisted of looking back on the past year and looking forward to the next. June 25, 2009 is the one-year anniversary of Eric's mission, so it is only natural that it be a time for reflection. Typical of Eric, he is much too hard on himself. He said he feels like he is "working my very hardest but it doesn't always seem like enough." He has found himself questioning what he is doing wrong, or where he could improve. Then in his personal study today, he had the strong spiritual impression that he needed to be careful not to focus on himself, but on the Lord and His work. He felt rebuked, but happy to be engaged in the service of God. He expressed his knowledge that through prayer he can know if his efforts are acceptable to Him, and reiterated his conviction that as to his own strength, he is nothing.
With regard to the past year, he said:
Most of this e-mail consisted of looking back on the past year and looking forward to the next. June 25, 2009 is the one-year anniversary of Eric's mission, so it is only natural that it be a time for reflection. Typical of Eric, he is much too hard on himself. He said he feels like he is "working my very hardest but it doesn't always seem like enough." He has found himself questioning what he is doing wrong, or where he could improve. Then in his personal study today, he had the strong spiritual impression that he needed to be careful not to focus on himself, but on the Lord and His work. He felt rebuked, but happy to be engaged in the service of God. He expressed his knowledge that through prayer he can know if his efforts are acceptable to Him, and reiterated his conviction that as to his own strength, he is nothing.
With regard to the past year, he said:
"I need to be thankful for what I have been blessed with. I have been able to see the lives of many people change. I feel like I have blessed, lifted and inspired some of those around me. I have learned great lessons about what is most important in missionary work. I am so grateful for the things I have learned. I have a lot of hope for the future."He expressed excitement for the challenges of the next year. Then he said:
"I think of what has happened in the last year and realize how great it would be to double those blessings! I am also excited for the people that I will meet. I pray with all energy of heart that I may be led to those who are prepared or that they may be led to me. I want to meet these people and help them find joy in the gospel of Jesus Christ. There are more people out there that I am meant to meet, I can feel it."We can feel it too, and are excited to think of the lives that can be blessed with a knowledge of their Savior.
2 comments:
I don't have any brothers so I have no real personal experience with close family members and their growth on a mission. I have nothing to compare to- other than my own experiences. But I hope that Tommy and Baby Drew can grow to be valiant missionaries like Eric. I have your son on a pedestal, I know, but I think he is just a great example of what I want my boy(s) to become. I read your letters and postings from such a maternal point of view, I get emotional right along with you (and I know you DO get emotional!)and I feel your righteous pride in the man he has become. Thank you for your blog, it inspires me to be a better mommy!
Becky, your comments are very kind. We think Eric is pretty special, but there are lots of great examples out there. Tommy and Drew are fortunate to have fine examples right at home, which I'm sure they will follow in becoming valiant missionaries and fine young men.
Post a Comment