Monday, January 25, 2010

January 18, 2010

"Good Morning! Hope you are all doing great! Today the sun is out, the snow has melted a bit and things are great."
 I guess it's kind of comforting, in a way, to know they have a little snow to make Eric feel at home. This was a pretty good week.
"Yesterday was a pretty good day. So we are still working with Elisabeth and company. They came to church but things are still a bit up in the air. She has accepted and started to live all of the commandments and has gained a testimony that the Book of Mormon is true and that Jospeh Smith is a prophet...so she has come a long way!"
He goes on to say that she still has a ways to go, and he's concerned about whether she'll be able to do it. 
"The hardest part is that her English is pretty bad and we teach with members who speak French so it is a bit hard to get a great understanding of her conversion. We will obviously continue to work with her...."
At least someone will continue to work with her. Next week is transfer week, and Eric is anticipating that he will probably be transferred to a different area. Stay tuned.
"We also found a good new investigator. His name is Chris. He is a uni student who we teach at the institute. I might not be there for [long] but hopefully we can help him this week to continue to progress. He is really smart yet humble so he really understood and accepted the message of the restoration. We will teach him tonight before the ysa fhe [young single adult family home evening]. I love teaching at the institute and using the ysa. They are such an amazing resource."
 Good news from Sheffield.
"So also this week I got to hear some good news about things in Sheffield. I don't know if I told you but most of the people I taught and baptised while there who haven't already gone back to China are doing good. They've referred a few friends to the missionaries there who have been baptised. Two of John's friends got baptised a few months ago. John and Glume are preparing to get the melchizedek priesthood and Vincent's friend just got baptised. Glume's girlfriend will probably be baptised in the coming weeks. So that is really exciting. Also, I got an e-mail from another recent convert from Sheffield who is now in China and doing good although he can't attend the church near his home. So all of that is pretty exciting to say the least. I love those people with all of my heart and pray that they will not stray from the light and knowledge they have received."
He also shared this tidbit of information:
"Also a quick little note. You should go to the new LDS youth site and watch the video about education and also the one on service. They have videos of families in Leeds and up north in our mission it might be alright to get a good glimpse of what it is like around here."
Those videos can be found by going to
https://beta.lds.org/youth/abny?locale=eng#a-brand-new-year-education 
and

https://beta.lds.org/youth/abny?locale=eng#a-brand-new-year-service-to-others

As usual, he shared his feelings with us in closing his e-mail:
" I feel so grateful to be part of this gospel. I know that it is all true. Yesterday at church the sacrament talks were centered around the plan of salvation. what a blessing it is to have so many restored truths about the plan of salvation. What great comfort it brings to know these things. I am grateful for the testimony I have. I hope that I will never lose it and that it will grow. I hope that after my mission I will have opportunities to do missionary work and to establish the Lord's kingdom."

No comments: