Monday of this week was a bank holiday, so the library was closed again. As a result, we didn't get an e-mail until Wednesday. Most of it consisted of a very long and enjoyable story, which I will quote with only minor editing:
"So I want to start by telling you a couple connected stories. So a couple Sundays ago, the 20th I think, it was about 6pm and Elder Rondo and I only had one appt and the rest of the Sunday evening would be spent knocking on doors in the freezing cold. We were driving to a place to go knocking when we realised that we would be passing right past President and Sister Stock's house. When we realised this we asked one another, what if we go ask President for referrals from his neighborhood? Can we do that? Well we really need people to teach right now, maybe it'd be a good idea? Has anyone ever done that before? So we tossed around the idea and then decided to do it. So we got out of the car and walked up to his door. Actually Elder Rondo hobbled up on crutches to the door, he sprained his ankle a couple p-days ago playing volleyball. So we got to the door still a bit unsure if this would be a good idea. So we went and knocked on the door, we stood in the entryway and asked if they knew anyone in the area we could teach. They gave us a few ideas and then President asked, "elders do you want to come in a bit and have a hot chocolate." No president we better get going. "Well you could have a cherry-lime if you want." Now things got interesting, President Stock was offering his world famous drink that few missionaries ever have a chance of getting. Although tempted we still refused saying we had some work to do at which sister stock said, ''they're just trying to be obedient honey.'' Then President asked the third time, ''So do you want a hot chocolate or cherry-lime?'' Pause, nervous glance at one another, pause...ok we'll take cherry-limes. I was sure we failed the test. President wanted to see what we'd do and we had failed, game over. Trust just went out the window. So we sat down and talked for about 10 minutes discussing missionary work and then moving on to weightier matters such as the Colts and the Packers. It was nice but we had to leave. So we left and went by the people President suggested who turned out not to be so interested. As we went throughout the night I was convinced that we shouldn't have done that. It bothered me for a bit but then I thought oh well what's done is done. We told a few other missionaries of our story trying to see what they thought, should we have done it or not?...next story... So yesterday was zone conference. President expressed his thanks to us as missionaries and then he said he wanted to tell an experience that taught him something. I thought oooo great I love stories. President started his story, ''so a couple of Sundays ago we were in our home.'' I thought to myself, oh no this isn't starting good. ''I think it was about 6 pm.'' Yep this definitely isn't good. ''There was a knock at my door and i thought who could that be.'' Maybe I should hide under my chair. ''I opened it and who else could it be than Elder Hansen and Elder Rondo.'' Darn it, why are you telling this president? At this point Elders Liu and Johnson looked back at us with obvious amusement. Then President explained why we came, asking for referrals and the only thing he could do to get us in was to offer us a cherry lime. Great, now the whole mission thinks we're wasters who just go and chill with President. President then explained how we were so anxious to leave and how as we left that night, seeing Elder Rondo hobble out on his crutches into the snow he got really emotional as he thought of all the missionaries going out into the night against adverse conditions and how grateful he was of our service. Then he explained how every effort we put forth is seen by our Saviour and recorded in heaven and how at one day the Saviour would advocate before the Father for us if we served him faithfully. He would remind the Father that Elder Rondo went out into the cold when his foot was so swollen he couldn't even get his shoe on. It was pretty intense. It was funny but spiritual at the same time. I'm glad for two things. My companion drew the pity points and President left out the fact that we talked about Peyton Manning as he recounted the story. I guess we didn't completely fail the test and it gave president a spiritual experience."There are many things I could say about this story, but I think I'll just let it speak for itself.
Now for a report on the missionary work. Elder Hansen was excited that they had a baptism this week. Ella, the 9-year-old daughter in a part-member family, was baptized. Eric really enjoys working with families and working to unite them as members of the church. He indicated they are also teaching an 11-year-old girl named Gina, who is excited to be baptized, but her parents haven't been coming to church. Hopefully, they will come to feel the importance of setting this example for their daughter.
The elders continue to teach the Dindambe family. Elisabeth and her children came to church again this week, but once again Freddy, the father, didn't come. Elisabeth and her son Carlos would like to be baptized, but for the time being are waiting for Freddy. That may change. Eric asked that we pray for Freddy.
Eric closed with his testimony:
"Well since I told you that mega-long story my time is out. I love all of you. I bear my witness that Jesus is the Christ, our Savior, Redeemer and the Son of God. Through Him I find solace for my soul, through Him I am healed both physically and spiritually, through Him I approach my Father. I know that I can become like him if I yield to the enticings to the Holy Spirit and put off the natural man. I know that He is the only way to eternal life. I know he was bruised for our iniquities. I am honored to be counted worthy to stand as his disciple and rejoice in his gospel."
No comments:
Post a Comment