The e-mail started with a little bio on his companion, Elder Valdivia. He is from Magna, Utah, but is half Peruvian. He has been on his mission about 3 months less than Eric, and Eric describes him as "really humble and very diligent." It sounds like they are getting along great.
A little update on Perlin, an investigator we mentioned last week.
"We didn't see him this week at all but he did come to church of course. I think he is losing the testimony and witness he gained because he didn't act upon it. I think he got an answer but didn't act upon it so he lost it. Joseph Smith talks about how if you don't heed the Holy Ghost it may not come back. We have to help him remember the witness he has received. We will see him tomorrow."And an interesting story about making effective use of your time:
"Also this week we brought a new Chinese student named Richard to church. Fun story... So on Friday we didn't have a meal appointment so we went to get a pizza near where we were finding. So we ordered a pizza and they said it would take 10 minutes so instead of waiting inside we went back onto the street and talked to a few people, one of them being Richard. He came for the first time and we haven't taught him much and we can't see him till late in the week. Fortunately when we brought him into church he was greeted by a Chinese recent convert named Lucia who is one of his classmates. So she is doing a really good job fellowshipping him. Lucia is a star, at least we aren't starting with nothing as far as Chinese work in York...we have one."The bulk of his e-mail was a report on several of the people he has taught in the past, some of whom he met with this week. This is what makes missionary work worth it.
"Also yesterday I went back to Leeds for the mission home fireside. Once a month the Stocks open up their home to the York and Leeds missionaries to bring their investigators or recent converts for a more low key meeting where a stake president or bishop in the mission usually speaks. I think the best part is the food and socialising after. So when I arrived I was greeted by some familiar faces. John and Glume were there from Sheffield! I know I told you about them a couple weeks ago but it was great to see them yesterday. John and Glume have both baptised some friends since I left and one of them, Jeff, was there with them. Also Erin, Glume's girlfriend was there. They told me that she would be getting baptised on Friday and that she and Glume plan to get married in September after they graduate. They then invited me to attend their sealing in the Salt Lake temple after they wait a year. I think I could have cried. President Stock told me as I left that I should have been in Leeds 1 for sacrament meeting. I guess they went there for church to see Elder Liu, and John and Glume bore their testimonies and it was really powerful. President Stock said there were few dry eyes in the congregation and that he could tell they were truly converted."
"Oh also John told me that Cindy from Sheffield can now get legally married to her partner who moved out and that he is also scheduled for baptism and said they are very ''diligent'' followers of Christ."
"Another note. Chris, the uni student from Leeds that Elder Rondo and I found, scheduled, taught and brought to church, will be baptised on Saturday! I talked to him at the mission home fireside as well. That's exciting."
"Also, in York 2 I got to hear a great testimony of a Chinese girl who came back to visit. I guess she joined the church in York and went back to China. She talked about the challenges for her there and how she was blessed to be within walking distance of a branch there. Also this week a member called me to say Nikki says hi and is doing good in China. The work is moving forward."After these exciting accounts, Eric mentioned the importance of looking forward, not backward, and having faith the Lord can bless us if we place our trust in him. Then he closed with:
"We don't really have many people to teach right now but I trust that things will pick up. I am excited for the future. I love you all, have a good day!"
No comments:
Post a Comment