Thursday, March 19, 2009

March 17, 2009

Happy St. Patrick's day. P-day was on Tuesday again this week because of zone conference. We got a nice e-mail from Eric.

Vincent was baptized on Friday and confirmed a member of the church on Sunday. He has made a great transformation over the past month or so. Eric told us this week the interesting story of how they met Vincent. Eric and Elder Combs went to visit someone in a student flat. When they knocked on the door, the person they were looking for didn't answer, but the next-door neighbor came out and talked to them. They got his phone number and made a return appointment to visit him. They weren't able to get hold of him for that appointment, but the following week they were visiting with John and Glume, and the same neighbor came looking for computer help from Glume. It turned out this was Vincent, and they were ultimately able to set up an appointment to meet with him. Eric was struck by the fact that the Lord put him in their path on two separate occasions. Obviously, the Lord knows his sheep and makes sure they have the chance to hear his gospel.

Several other people came to church with Eric and Elder Liu this week, including Zibo, who is now preparing to be baptized on March 27th. Eric says he still doesn't say much, but has progressed much in his understanding of and commitment to the gospel. Eric is excited about what the future holds for Zibo.

Eric expressed a little humanity this week, saying that lately he has felt exhausted. He said it seems like they go non-stop, have more to do when they get home at night, and get up the next morning and do it all over again. He said it isn't easy, but it is worth it. He has people to teach and baptize, and lots of people he can help find rides to church. The Lord is greatly blessing him, but he still feels tired a lot. Still, he says:
"The Lord stays true to his promise and each day my body is renewed. Each day he gives me strength to fulfill my purpose."
Eric goes on to say that pushing our physical and spiritual muscles is the only way to grow, and only when we push ourselves to the limit of what we are able to do alone can the Lord step in and help us accomplish miraculous things.
"With faith in Christ, you can do anything that is expedient in Him, but that faith requires action. I'm just glad I get a P-day too. :)"
I'd like to close with words Eric wrote about his time in Sheffield, which he expects to be coming to a close in the next few weeks.
"Another great week has come and gone in Sheffield. I feel like my days here are limited and I need to make the most of it. I have felt like I have been very lucky to be here and get to know the members and investigators alike. I hope that after I leave I can say I made an impact in some of these people's lives."
Little doubt of that, IMHO.

No comments: