Monday, December 1, 2008

November 25, 2008

Once again it has taken me nearly a week to post info from Eric's last e-mail. Sorry to all our readers. I'll post twice today to make up for it, how's that?

Eric had a tougher week last week. His companion Elder Chan was sick for much of the week, which meant they had to spend more time inside to allow him to rest. Eric said it did give him a chance to study Chinese more than usual, which was good.

They also lost several investigators from their teaching pool. In other words, people decided they didn't want to meet with the missionaries any more. This was somewhat discouraging to Eric, but he remains optimistic about people they are continuing to teach, including a Chinese student who came with them to church last week. She has been meeting with the missionaries, and also with a Chinese member of the church named Crest, who has been able to share with her the excitement and joy that have come into his life as he has accepted the gospel of Jesus Christ. Crest has been very helpful to Eric and Elder Chan, and very willing to help teach their investigators. He is returning to China in January, which will make things a little more difficult for Eric and Elder Chan, but much more difficult for Crest. The LDS Church is not recognized in China, so there are few members and no organized units. Being a Christian of any denomination is not an easy thing to do in China. Hopefully Crest will be able to overcome the difficulties and maintain his faith and commitment to Christ.

Eric mentioned one interesting experience, which apparently happened when Elder Chan was feeling ok:
"This week I also got to have a proper Chinese meal. One of the first I've really had. Some investigators invited us over and fed us all this crazy stuff. I was eating crab and tofu and weird mushrooms and seaweed and all of these things I had never seen before. It didn't help that they kept putting more and more in my bowl. And it also didn't help that we had our regular tea appoinment with members right before that. I was stuffed. I don't think I ever have been more tempted to be bulimic before. But it was all pretty good. I'd eat it again."
Between the frequent appointments to eat, incredible chocolate and baked goods, and greatly reduced exercising, it sounds like we might expect a somewhat heavier version of Eric to return to us after his mission. He doesn't really say he has gained weight, but it sounds like that might be the case.

Finally, Eric expressed his love for snail mail. He asked me to post his address on the website (apparently not realizing I had done that weeks ago). He said:
"I don't know if you do that or not, but I just figure it would only help me get more post. I'm greedy like that."
I love how he is talking like a Brit all the time. Post? Is that different from mail? Seriously, I hope some of you will take the time to send him a card or letter before Christmas. This will be a very difficult time for him, I'm sure. Hearing from friends at home may make him more homesick, but will also help him to feel connected to those he cares about. He clearly would love to hear from you. It takes a week or so for mail to reach him, so please take that into account. Thank you all for your support.

No comments: