Sunday, November 9, 2008

Week of October 28, 2008

Here's another week of catching up. Eric's preparation day was changed to Tuesday again this week, but at least he told us in advance so he didn't have another mail-free week. He still sounds happy and excited about the work he is doing. He and Elder Chan are teaching several students and enjoying the progress they are making.

This week was transfer week. FYI, every six weeks new missionaries arrive, others go home, and some get transferred to a new area. Eric got a call this week telling him he was being transferred to become a district leader. Then, the mission president called back to say he was sorry, he had called the wrong Elder Hansen. Cruel joke. I thought it was bad when the other Elder Hansen was getting his mail. Somehow, this seems worse. Turns out he is staying right where he is, which is what he expected and hoped for. Elder Chan and the two zone leaders are staying as well. All of them are happy because Sheffield is a great city. It is also inland and on the southern end of the mission, which is nice with winter coming on.

Another call came from the mission office to inform Eric that he had a package waiting for him from Salt Lake City. Apparently, the church has published a new version of the Book of Mormon with English, Pinyin, and Chinese characters all side-by-side. They are giving a copy of it to all missionaries speaking Chinese. Eric was very excited about this, and felt like it would help him a great deal in learning the language, and especially in learning the characters. He continues to improve in his language skills, but still feels like he needs Elder Chan's help often. He said, "I have never done anything this hard before." He's glad he and Elder Chan will be together for at least 6 more weeks.

Here's another quote from this week:
I feel like I'm getting a lot more used to missionary life. I'm finding little things that I can improve and I'm not as overwhelmed. That being said, it is still difficult.... As a perfectionist it is hard to ever feel content but I guess that's a good thing sometimes."
We all know Eric is a perfectionist, and way too hard on himself. I'm grateful he is able to see the good in what he is doing, and that it gives him great happiness.

Thank you to everyone who has written to Eric. He told us this week how much he appreciates the letters he has received. Your prayers for his success are also greatly appreciated.

No comments: