This week’s e-mail was longer and meatier than the last few, so we have lots to tell. Linda and I are working together on this post, which is progress. The next one will be hers alone. Eric is supposed to call us tonight or tomorrow, either from
Eric is excited and nervous about going to
Eric shared with us a beautiful experience he had last week. On Saturdays, they have the opportunity to practice teaching the gospel to volunteers (usually people who have served Mandarin-speaking missions) who generally pose as people investigating the Church. On this occasion, they were instead supposed to be teaching a church member. The volunteer who came this time was a native Taiwanese woman. Eric and his companion taught her a gospel lesson, and felt like they did pretty well. Later in the week, Eric learned from his instructor that the volunteer had not been attending church for some time, but was so touched by the message Eric and his companion shared with her that she had a renewed desire to come back to church. Eric said, “I wasn't really expecting our teaching to have that kind of an impact. It kind of eases my nerves that I could teach a real Chinese person in Chinese to their needs and help them turn unto Christ. I know that the field will be a lot different and I know my Chinese is nowhere close to perfect but I just feel like it's possible.”
In closing his letter, Eric sent a message to his family and friends, with which I will also close this post:
“As I run out of time I just want to thank all of you for your continued support, love and prayers. I feel them and I know we are all being watched over. I know the gospel is true. I know it gives us happiness. I know we have a loving Heavenly Father and Jesus is the Christ. I know the Gospel has been restored through Joseph Smith and that the Book of Mormon is the word of God. Shall we not go on in so great a cause?”
No comments:
Post a Comment