Monday, August 4, 2008

Finally, an update.

I've had a couple of people tell me recently that they were reading this, so I decided I'd better post something new before I scare off what few readers we may have left. I've been trying to get Linda to post something, but so far without success. Comments encouraging her to let her voice be heard would be helpful and appreciated.

Meanwhile, we got an e-mail from Eric this morning which contained some interesting info. Here's a quote:
"I heard some interesting news this past week. One of the other Mandarin teachers here said that he recently taught a missionary who is now serving in Leeds. He said that that Elder is currently the only Mandarin missionary in the whole mission. So I'll be the second."

He went on to say that another Mandarin-speaking missionary going to Leeds is entering the MTC this week, which also made him happy. It sounds as though he may be doing some teaching in English, since there are so few Chinese speaking elders. This is what he said about that:
"I hope I'll be companions with the Mandarin missionary in the field right now and that we will get to speak with a lot of Chinese people because I need to get immersed in the language. I really can't wait to start speaking with natives everyday, I know it will really help my Chinese.

His Chinese must be coming along ok, though, based on what he's telling us.
"This past week we taught the first time in Chinese and we taught a native volunteer. She had a very Taiwanese accent, but spoke pretty clearly and wasn't intimidating. That being said...she talked really fast and I couldn't always keep up. I think the hardest part for me now is listening to natives with bigger vocabulary and more complex grammar. It was a good experience because she talked with the same speed and skills as the people I'll meet, except she had a Taiwanese accent which I probably won't hear, I'll hear more mainlanders."

Afterwards, he said his companion filled him in on what was said, and he found he hadn't missed as much as he thought. He also said he bore his testimony in Chinese yesterday in church. He is finding that his vocabulary is expanding so that he can construct more complex sentences.

He gave this summary of his feelings:
"I've got stuff to work on but it's good. I am starting to have a lot of fun with the language and want to keep learning more and more. I am blessed in a lot of ways as far as my opportunity to learn."

We are grateful for all that he is learning, and for his positive outlook on the experience. We are thankful for the influence of the spirit of God in his life and learning. We look forward to hearing more about his successes and growth.

No comments: